Saturday, March 30, 2013

Emilie's Room - Peacock Paper Craft

I decided to do Emilie's room in a peacock theme, since I love the colors. I have a feeling she would have preferred an Elmo theme, but too bad. It's peacocks for now!

One of the first things I did was to search Pinterest for Peacock crafts. Here is my first, completed project: 


This was very easy, but fairly time consuming. Since I only have small chunks of time to work on it at once, it took several nights. The project basically consists of cutting out shapes and gluing them to the canvas. I did not create the peacock shapes myself. I found a graphic online and traced out the difficult areas (the body, the crest, the feet, and the wing) and free-handed the rest. I tried to freehand the whole thing (by looking at the peacock graphic), but it came out pretty terrible! I am certainly crafty, but definitely not an artist! Tracing the hard parts made it come out much better!

You can find the tutorial here:

Here is a pic of the papers I used. I didn't get a good pic of the paper I used for the background. I used a 18" x 24" canvas. I purchased the canvas and papers from JoAnn.

Here is a close-up of the peacock body:

And finally, I created a way to hang it on the wall using a thick string and the staple gun:


Have fun creating your peacocks!

1 comment: